Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday, March 16 - We got a game plan!

Now that we spoke to you, Teresa, we have come up with a game plan for our time in Australia.

We arrive in Sydney at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, August 3, 2007 and I will make my own way to yours; we will return back to Sydney the night of Monday, August 6 as we leave for Cairns on Tuesday, August 7. Given neither of us has been to the tropics, we would like to maximize our time in that area! We would spend four days/three nights there.
From Cairns, we would like to fly the to Darwin, leaving on Friday, August 10. We need to overnight in Darwin on that night as we need to be up and ready for the 7:00 a.m. departure time for a 3 day/2night Kakadu/Litchfield camping safari tour: http://www.billycan.com.au/skl3.htm
We need to be back in Darwin by Tuesday, August 14 as we want to take "The Ghan" (http://www.ntescapes.com.au/ghan/the_ghan.html) which only leaves Darwin for Alice Springs on Wednesdays/Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. arriving at 9:10 a.m. on Thursday, August 16 (which is Ethan's 13th birthday)! We would then spend a few days in the Alice Springs/ Uluru/Kata Tjuta area and then, we would fly back to Sydney, leaving Alice Springs on either Sunday, August 19 OR Monday, August 20 until our departure at 2:40 p.m. on August 25th.
I have already booked a few things once we're in Sydney, including going ot see "The Barber of Seville" at the Sydney Opera House on Friday, August 24th! Whew! It's gonna be a helluva trip!

1 comment:

Teresa L. Chilkowich said...

Hey Peanut & Jr. Peanut,

Great to see your comment on my BLOG & to see this new BLOG that you have started for your excellent adventures Down Unda!!!

I have some great news about the timing of your trip here ... looks like it is a slower time for me with my OBA work & I'll be able to book the time off as annual leave ...

The interesting part that I have also found out ... is that I will likely be up in northern New South Wales in Kyogel, not at the national base where I am now, which is south of Canberra ...

Sooooo, we may have to plan to meet up near Byron Bay/Lismore in northern NSW instead of south of Canberra ... this is further removed from Sydney BUT heaps cooler because it's northern NSW & I have a few friends up that way ... Lismore is where the Rainforest Information Centre folks are plus one of my Seed Mates lives in the nearby area called The Channon. Lismore is like granola central for Australia ... you'll love it ... & it's also the place where I saw the big fruit bats migrate to their feeding grounds every evening at dusk!!

If you & Ethan are up to a big bus or train ride (I recommend the train for ease of comfort) ... then we could meet up in northern NSW ... I think it is about a 12 hour bus ride but can't remember for sure. Newcastle is on the way about 2-3 hours north of Sydney, a good stop over place if you want to break up the trip a little ...

If you would rather I come your way or we try to meet in the middle, just let me know & I'll figure out the best way to make that happen.

Just realized this note might have been better for an e-mail note but thought you'd like to see a comment posted on your BLOG, so here you are!

Looking soooooo forward to seeing you both down here and spending time with you. I'll try to call you at a decent hour tomorrow since it is another day off for me.

Be well my dear friends & happy planning for your big adventures!!

Hugs 'n Bugs, & heaps of love,

Teresa